03 May 2015

Rock Salt and Lava Lamps – Strike Anywhere Matches

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have had a lifelong love of strike anywhere matches.  My Grandfather kept them on hand to light his furnace.  He kept wax coated ones in his fishing tackle for melting line ties.  I learned to make match rockets from them in elementary school.  Perhaps this is the very best use of matches in the history of matches. 

For the curious and mischievous out there here are links to both simple match rockets and complex ones.  For my young readers please do this with a RESPONSIBLE adult.  I will say that if NASA teaches one how to do something, it must be OK to do it.  Please do not do this indoors.  That is just a bad idea.  If you make them please share your experience with me.

I also keep strike anywhere matches in my home.  I light the candle that is part of my morning devotional time with them.  I keep them in the kitchen, the bathroom, and my office.  I have at various times struck them on odd surfaces just to see if I can strike them there.  They do truly strike almost anywhere.

I realize that the fire of Christ in me must be ready to kindle in any situation.  I must be ready when it is convenient and when it is not.  I must kindle in the moment to be the light that Christ requires of me.  Any situation is the right situation to be loving, kind, and good.  I am required to be this. 

It does not mean that I inject “holy talk” into every environment.  It means that no matter the environment or the situation my light must humbly represent the Light of the World.  I must come to life to be a reflection of who Christ is in any circumstance.  The Jesus is willing to use me for this purpose baffles me.  It also is the way of things so I must follow. 

I must also remember that matches are dangerous.  Misused and abused matches can burn me and can burn others.  I must not kindle in a way that causes harm or damages others.  After all matches are only good if they are used for good.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment