12 June 2015

Explaining Hominy

Greetings Dear Reader,

For those of you who do not know what Hominy is I will explain briefly.  First let me explain how I came to need to explain it to an Australian.  My Daughter Christmas is from Australia.  I will get back to that.

Hominy is made from field corn.  That corn is dried hen treated by soaking and cooking the (hard) grain in a dilute solution of lye, slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) or wood ash, a process termed nixtamalization. The soaked maize is washed, and then ground into masa. When fresh masa is dried and powdered, it becomes masa seca or masa harina. (Wikipedia)  My favorite use of Hominy is Grits.

We were having breakfast at Cracker Barrel and grits arrived at the table.  Christmas inquired as to what this was and I offered that they were called Grits.  She said, “Grits?”

I responded with the joke my Grandfather always told when someone asked about Grits.  I asked, “How many Grits?” but pronounced it “Hominy Grits.”   She was perplexed so I explained to her how Grits were made.  She did get the pun as I explained and that elicited an eye roll and a groan.  She also assured me that she would have no desire to eat such an oddity.

The thing is that we were speaking the same language and she still did not have the context to understand my pun or my words.  I had to give her the context in which to see it.  It did not make the pun any better but now when I automatically speak it when there are grits present then I am understood.

I think the important take away for me is that I must be clear when I communicate.  I cannot assume that anyone understands when I talk about Jesus and his importance.  I must be sure that I speak only of Christ in terms that are clear to everyone.  Religious terms can cloud our communication if we are unclear.  If I am to represent Christ well then I must do so not only with my life but with clear words.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment