27 June 2015

Figuring Out God – A Sense of Humor

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I ponder certain situations I cannot help but laugh.  Jesus has five thousand people with him in the country.  There is not fast food available.   There are no diners or taco stands.  There are five thousand hungry people.

The apostles have been with Jesus for some time.  They have seen him turn water to wine.  He is mourning the death of his cousin.  He has just spent the day healing the sick.  Please take a moment to get that firmly in your mind. 

Jesus is healing sick people on the spot.  He is caring for the lives of others whilst dealing with the beheading of his cousin John.  His disciples are witness to this and he has already explained to them that they can do as he does. 

The day is wearing on and the people are hungry.  His followers tell him to send them away to the villages to buy food.  Again, no pizza delivery or vendors selling food “On a Stick” are an option.   The response holds so much that we overlook. 

Jesus says to them, “You give them something to eat.”  Jesus wants them to act.  He is telling them to provide for his followers.  The disciples do not get it.  They ask him if he wishes for them to go buy food.  They are concerned that it will cost too much.  I can picture the face palm. 

I can picture the moment so easily and it makes me smile.  Jesus asks them what they have.  The answer is simple.  They have five loaves of bread (picture flat bread here such as Nan or a pita. {I want to launch into a myriad of Nan puns here but I will spare you out of my deep love for you Dear Reader.  Besides they would be Nan-Sequential to my point here}).  They have two fish as well.

Jesus, in a moment of glorious humor tells them to sit the people in groups.  He already knows what he will do but they have lost site of the possible.  They have forgotten the potential promised in the things they have witnessed all day. 

Jesus feeds them all by dividing the loaves and fishes.  He does not make tuna fish.  He does not spend a penny.  Do we think of God as having a sense of humor?  Do we ponder that we can see God as laughing, joking, and dare I say making a bad pun or two.

When we attempt to see who God is we must remember that all of our good traits are created by him.  I hear God in good laughter.  I am sure he has played a joke or two on me.  If I fail to see God’s sense of humor then I will not know him in full.

I want to continue to discover the good things about this God who so many think they have figured out.  Beginning with laughter is a great start.  It grounds to the fact that the human condition is one that God chose to experience so that I could better relate to him.

Know You In The Now – Michael Card

Echo of history
A light so many strain to see
The One we talk so much about
But rarely ever live it out

Could You tell me why
Was it for this You came and died
A once a week observance
When we coldly mouth Your words

Lord I long to see
Your presence in reality
But I don't know how
Let me know You in the now

We should confess
We lose You in our busyness
We've made You in our image
So our faith's idolatry

Lord, deliver me
Break my heart so I can see
All the ways You dwell in us
That You're alive in me

Lord I long to see
Your presence in reality
But I don't know how
Let me know You in the now

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment