13 June 2015

The Best of Times; the Worst of Times – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”

Charles Dickens has long been one of my favorite authors.  I have read almost everything he has written.  His writing reminds me what matters in being good to my fellow travelers.  It also reminds me to put my “suffering” in perspective. 

As I move through a season of changes that I do not necessarily want I am re-reading A Tale of Two Cities to keep my perspective.  This particular novel also connects to a pinnacle moment in some of my other fiction, Star Trek.  So many things about that fictional universe touch the essence of who I am.

Above I quoted the opening lines of the novel.  As I reread them I realize just how much of the binary choices there are in my control.  I choose how I behave in the best and worst of times.  Even in times of pain and loss I can choose how I act, react, and interact.  Even when things seem grim it can be an epoch of belief.

As I turn my home into a house again I will be saying goodbye to many best and worst times.  I will make many binary choices over the coming weeks.  I must make sure that the important ones are made in the footsteps of following Christ.  Although I journey to a place that I fear will not feel like a home I know that I still have more than so many.  I must journey there with the right attitude, intentions, and energy.  Walk with me whilst I think through this if you will.  I could use the company and the conversation.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment