12 July 2015

Great Expectations – Counterfeit Compassion

Greetings Dear Reader,

My Grandfather only had a few years to instruct me about the world before he went on to the next.  One of the things he commonly said was “You do what you believe.  The rest is just talk.”  When it comes to compassion there is an inherent expectation that words are not enough.

It is the Church, Christ followers who are supposed to set the example in compassion.  The people of Christ are supposed to live out compassion.  Christ was very clear about this.  There are enough of us that we should be able to do serious damage to the hunger, homelessness, and poverty crises in our world.  None of us should be satisfied as long as a neighbor lacks healthcare.

We give lip service to compassion but do we really live it out?  Do we spend more on designer coffee than we give to food pantries?  Do we limit our giving to organizations that have a real impact on social issues because they are not “Christian”? 

God’s great expectation as that we are known by our love and compassion.  His requirement of us is that we care for the very least in our society.  We can have all the programs and talk about compassion all we wish.  If we do not put hands and feet on it we are a counterfeit. 

The rest of the world is right to expect us to be impactful in these areas.  We should be leading the fight in curing the world’s ills.  We should battle over how much we can provide and not over who gets to provide it.  Our arguments should be over how to get people what they need whilst we are doing it.  Instead we delay effective measures to argue over power, politics, and posture. 

If I do not act in compassion for others I am not following Christ.  If I talk about compassion but show none then my compassion is counterfeit and my faith is not worth following. 

Compassion (Change the World) – Andrew Witt

Well I can't change the world
But I can live with open hands
I can't change the world
But I can give all that I can
And I can pray and I can love
And when all is said and done
I can't change the world
But I can change the world for one

Half a world away
Or just across the street
May my eyes be open to
Anyone in need

Well I can't change the world
But I can live with open hands
I can't change the world
But I can give all that I can
And I can pray and I can love
And when all is said and done
I can't change the world
But I can change the world for one
For one

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment