07 July 2015

Second Thoughts – For Love of the Game

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I have always believed that except for injuries and some other serious issues it is proper to mostly leave God out of sports.  Primarily I think it is wrong to ask him to take sides.  In the excellent movie “For Love of the Game” the man character Billy Chapel, a pitcher prays.  “God, I always said I would never bother you about baseball, always seemed silly. But if you could make this pain in my shoulder stop for ten minutes”

Photo by Natalie Foley
When I was playing baseball I always left God out of it except to thank him when things went well or to pray for the safety of injured players.  Friday night whilst watching the game I involved God directly.  My friend, Dancing Rick, who had arranged for Orion to sing had a problem.  He came and discussed it with me.

You see it is summer and sunset is late and darkness later.   Darkness on July 3, 2015 was to arrive at 9:20. At 6:30 we were already in the sixth inning of the game.   Rick was concerned that the game would end early and that there was nothing for people to do.  He sole concern was not disappointing 6,500 baseball fans.  I prayed.

My prayer was simple; “Father the game needs to slow down.  Rick is concerned about his fans.”   It was then that God chose to remind me that he has a sense of humor.  My Mallards were ahead by two.  The Wood Chucks quickly tied the score and held on to take the game to extra innings. 

Whilst the sun took its time traversing the sky from evening to dusk the teams battled back and forth.  I spent from the ninth to the twelfth innings laughing at God’s joke.  Rick got his time, we all got darkness, and my Mallards still won.   My Son, Daughter, and Grandson danced the time away until it was dark enough for the fireworks. 

I was reminded well that God cares about everything.  I am not saying that my prayer caused the extra innings.  I am saying there are not coincidences.  I know that Rick is a man of faith.   I know the fireworks were amazing.  I know I was encouraged to help.  I know that my faith is stronger. 

For the love of baseball and the fans I am thankful.  For the extra innings I am thankful and humored.  For the wonder in my Grandson’s eyes I feel younger.  For celebrating Independence Day at a baseball game I am touched. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment