19 July 2015

Setting Standards for Feelings - Happiness

Greetings Dear Reader,

Happy is almost universally defined as a state of pleasure or contentment.  We are guaranteed the right to pursue it in our constitution.  We want to be happy.   It is not wrong to desire happiness. 

Whether or not one is happy, however, must not be the standard for our choices in life.  If I pursue only happiness then I will harm others out of selfishness and greed.  I can make choices that are irresponsible.  I can neglect my responsibilities to God, friends, and family by pursuing only happiness.

I have always thought that we get it backwards.  I think that happiness is a choice.  I think that if we learn to be content we find happiness.  If we find our pleasure in good things then we will be happy.  If we put our happiness first instead of seeking good and contentment then happiness will remain elusive.

I must not let whether something makes me happy determine how I treat others.  I must not let happiness determine my morals, values, attitudes, and actions.  Happiness will be the product of choosing to do what is right and finding contentment in that.  If I do not feel happy I must analyze my attitude.  I must determine if I am pursuing the right things and if I am content with what God has in front of me in the moment.

Happiness is a choice.  It is derived from choosing to follow in faith no matter what the situation.   Happiness is found in joy in whom I follow.  The joy is found in the journey of faith and following.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment