15 July 2015

Setting Standards for Feelings – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

It troubles me often when I see the level of disrespect for others that grows steadily in our world.  Many seem to have forgotten common courtesy and simple polite behavior.   I realize that some just do not care and that will always be the case.  What troubles me most is that feelings seem to become the wellspring of our actions rather than clear thought and reason.

Recently a dear friend shared with me that a coworker berated him for being too nice.  His reactions of kindness and gratitude made the coworker feel that he was insincere in his actions.  It seems that launching a tirade at someone for being nice requires a great deal of impatience and judgment. 

I often encounter situations where feelings become reality and people react to those feelings.  It becomes increasingly common to hear someone react to how they feel without thinking through the response.  The process of reasoning through how those feelings arise seems abandoned. 

This is done in the name of allowing our feelings to be expressed.  “I am just being honest about how I feel” has replaced sound reason about those feelings.  This destroys relationships.  It kills honest thought.  Our feelings are not to be our guide.  Allowing that can destroy a family or a nation. 

As I think through this I ponder the results of simply indulging my feelings.  I have done this in the past and it rarely turns out well.  Following Christ in this requires that I reason through my responses and rarely have reactions.  Walk with me if you wish Dear Reader whilst I try to refine my standards and be a better man.  I value your thoughts and questions.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment