03 August 2015

Home to House - Hoteling

Greetings Dear Reader,

As long as I can remember the first nights in a new house have always felt like a stay at a cheap hotel.  One is still living out of boxes.  The finding of things or missing of things is common.  It is like being in a hotel without the vacation.

The stark contrast is that there is no familiar home to return to at the end of it all.  You are turning your home back into a house.  Sometimes it is quick like ripping off a bandage.  Sometimes it is slow because of planned or necessary overlap.

This move has necessary overlap.  The task would be too momentous to accomplish all at once.  A great deal of the effort is spent in pickup, carrying, an placing.  Another part of the effort is the emotional weight of the change. 

I feel as if part of me will be permanently hoteling.   Some things about this new place remind me of years long past that are best forgotten.  Other aspects of this have yet to unfold but I have little hope of them being good.  Much of my routine is unsettled that adds to the weight.

It has descended on my just how much of the familiar comforts me.  Since the real furniture does not come for two weeks there is no comfortable place to sit when the moving and unpacking is done for the day. 

In all of this the biggest loss are my lapses in patience and kindness.  It does not matter why I do this.  It matters greatly that I do.  In the moment of this crucible I must burn away things that keep me from trusting Christ to provide ALL my needs no matter what else is going on around me.

When I fail, I will be unkind, impatient, and demanding.  That is no way to begin this part of the journey.  After all, at hotels we are guests and should behave like it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment