02 November 2015

All Souls Day

Greetings Dear Reader,

This day is traditionally a day when some Christ followers pray for the dead.  I am not sure that praying for the dead will do any good.  Then again as I ponder it something occurred to me.  If you will bear with me for a moment I will explain.

It is possible that my prayers could impact the past.  Reason with me for a moment.  The premise of my thinking involves a few assumptions:

God exists outside of time.
God has foreknowledge of all things that will happen.
God hears and answers every prayer.

Since all these things are true then God will know that I am going to pray for someone in the future.  He can take that into account and use it in his interactions with someone in the past.  We do not all that God knows and there is no harm in exercising our faith in this way.  I would even posit that it shows greater faith because we have to act on all of the above assumptions in faith.

I would not pray for the dead in hope of changing their current status as I do not believe in an in between state.  We are souls in need of reclamation.  We are souls in need of rescue.  If I ponder people in the past who could use a kind word and thought then I do no harm.

If I am constantly in conversation with God as I should be then it is a small drop in the ocean of prayer that will sum up my life.  I would rather err on the side of having tried than neglecting any possibility of impacting someone for good.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment