04 November 2015

On Prayer – Why I Pray

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I first began to regularly pray I did so out of obedience.  It was hard.  My faith was new and my doubts were still nagging at the back of my mind.  Someone I trusted suggested I obey the commands to pray out of the good place in my heart. 

It was like eating uncooked oatmeal at first; dry and difficult.  I felt as if I was completely disconnected and rambling. Then someone taught how to find the right things about which to pray.  I will get to that tomorrow.  Then the real breakthrough came.

A dear friend asked me about prayer.  He said he was enjoying his time of prayer more than ever and wanted to pass on that joy.  What he said was that he realized that God wants us to talk to him like we would a father.  I realized that I had a very poor blueprint for that.

Then I remembered all the times I spend talking to my Grandfather when I was young.  He really listened.  He listened with his head and his heart.  All that I was reading about God told me he would do the same.  So I began to pray as if I was talking to my Grandfather.  I poured out my thoughts, questions, and hurts. 

I made sure that I balanced methodology and heart.  I worked to assure that nothing was rote or canned.  Then I began to respond to everyday things by having a conversation with God about it.  I would thank him for a great sunrise.  I would comment on someone else being kind.  I would express my anger at someone being a jerk.

I began to listen as well.  I began to ponder how my heart was toward things and try to change my thoughts based on that inner voice that is the Father moving me closer to his Son. 

I pray because God is there and listening.  I realize that it comes down to faith to do this, but if we dare approach God it must be in faith. 


Hungry I come to You
For I know You satisfy
I am empty but I know
Your love does not run dry
So I wait for You
So I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

Broken I run to You
For Your arms are open wide
I am weary but I know Your touch
Restores my life
So I wait for You
So I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

So I wait for You
So I wait for You
So I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

Hungry I come to You
For I know You satisfy

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment