27 December 2015

Closing of the Year – Three French Hens

Greetings Dear Reader,

On this “third day of Christmas” I find that I am reminded that the seasonal silly song once had real meaning.  There was a time in England that it was illegal to be Catholic.  The “Twelve Days of Christmas” is code for articles of faith.

Today, the third day of Christmas is “Three French Hens” or Faith, Hope, and Charity.  These are the things that hold my on course.  They are the things I hope to bring to bear on all that I do. 

I want to walk, live, and act in faith.  My faith must be living and real in all that I do and visible to others.  I do not mean that I speak about it all the time but that others know by my actions why I do what I do and that I believe.

Hope is the thing I want others to find because of my faith.  There is real hope to be had.  Even when the rain is cold and the darkness deep there is always hope.  Even when I feel it waning my faith sustains it.

It is only through charity, or love that we can do anything.  My love for others must be what people see.  My desire to live this love out with everyone I encounter must be my mission.

These three French hens are known as the theological virtues.  Imagine if focused on these three things in all our theology.  We could truly make a difference in the world.  Our message would be worth hearing.  Our example would be worth following.  We could truly extend the celebration of Christ beyond the 12 days.


1 Partridge in a Pear Tree – Jesus on the Cross
2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4 Calling Birds = the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings = The first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
6 Geese A-laying = the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming = the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking = the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping = the Ten Commandments
11 Pipers Piping = the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming = the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

Twelve Days of Christmas – Traditional

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment