24 December 2015

Meditations In the Christmas Story – Still Later - Simeon

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

When the devout observant Jewish family journeys to Jerusalem to dedicate their firstborn Son to God they are doing what every Jewish family is supposed to do with their firstborn.  Then they encounter Simeon.

He holds the boy and prays a blessing over him.  He reminds the family that they are holding God in their arms.  They remind the family of his destiny.  Simeon has waited and believed that the redeemer would come. 

Job said it in our earliest writings of the Old Testament.   The prophets foretold it.  Simeon sees it. 
We still wait.  The Messiah came and departed for a time.  I need to be like Simeon believing and looking. Anticipating and waiting with love and obedience.  As I settle down for my Christmas Eve meditations and ponderings before sleep claims me I want to assure that my heart is focused on Christ.

I have my cup and bowl.  I have my tree and decorations.  I am full from a rich Christmas Eve feast of goose and trimmings.   I am going to stare at the bubble lights and ponder all that Christ is and will be.   I will further my thinking on the next Advent when the King returns to make all things good.  Now that I have held him in my arms things are different eternally.  Merry Christmas, Dear Reader.  I love you more that you can possibly know.


That old man in the temple
Waiting in the court
Waiting for the answer to a promise
And all at once he sees them
In the morning sunshine
A couple come and carry in a baby

Now that I've held Him in my arms
My life can now come to an end
Let Your servant now depart in peace
Cause I've seen Your salvation
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people Israel

Marry and the baby come
And in her hand five shekels
The price to redeem her baby boy
The baby softly cooing
Nestled in her arms
Simeon takes the boy and starts to sing

Now that I've held Him in my arms
My life can now come to an end
Let Your servant now depart in peace
Cause I've seen Your salvation
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people Israel

Now's the time to take Him in your arms
Your life will never come to an end
He's the only way that you'll find peace
He'll give you salvation cause
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people Israel

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment