09 January 2016

Old Leftovers are not Food for Today

Greetings Dear Reader,

This time of year I always have to clean out the fridge.   I do not usually need to but after Christmas and New Year’s there are always things that did not get eaten soon enough. 

As I do this some things have turned more virulently than others.  Since I put things in reusable containers I cannot just pitch the offending items with the container.  As I throw out the last bit of that appetizer or desert I ponder how nice it was when first laid out.  The food was good if not so healthy.  It was sweet or savory as desired.  It was perfect for the moment.

Now those bits that are left are no longer good for food.  The same is true for yesterday’s successes.  Following Christ is moment by moment.  Yesterday’s following does not mean I can fail to follow today.  I can remember sweetly my success but not use them as a reason to fail to create new ones.

Yesterday’s good can build a pattern but not feed me today.  Successes are good motivation but are not good food for today.  Remember a good food that I prepared motivates me to prepare it again.

If I am to follow Christ with my whole heart I cannot dine on the past and hope to be nourished.

Know You in the Now – Michael Card    

Echo of history
A light so many strain to see
The One we talk so much about
But rarely ever live it out

Could You tell me why
Was it for this You came and died
A once a week observance
When we coldly mouth Your words

Lord I long to see
Your presence in reality
But I don't know how
Let me know You in the now

We should confess
We lose You in our busyness
We've made You in our image
So our faith's idolatry

Lord, deliver me
Break my heart so I can see
All the ways You dwell in us
That You're alive in me

Lord I long to see
Your presence in reality
But I don't know how
Let me know You in the now

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment