27 January 2016

On Leisure Pursuits – Accurate Re-calibration

Greetings Dear Reader,

Many of us no longer need to calibrate things hence the word bears defining.  To calibrate is to “correlate the readings of (an instrument) with those of a standard in order to check the instrument's accuracy.”   We need to consistently re-calibrate. 

If left to my own measures I do not always assess my instrument well.  I push too hard when I am ill.  I can at times be too sedentary.   I should exercise more than I do.  I do not always assess myself honestly both on the positive and negative side.

I need to set honest baselines for what I need in leisure.   Diet, exercise, activity, and rest must all become measured and intentional.   This is not a secular issue.  It must not be my priority but it must be prioritized.    

Paul notes that “bodily exercise is of little profit.”   This does not mean that one should not exercise but it does mean that it must be seen in relation to other things.  An honest and accurate re-calibration of how I spend my leisure time is vital to assuring that I follow Christ in all things.

There is no down time from following Christ as I am to use all of my time to do that.  The Father has prescribed rest and relaxation but as with all things it must be tempered.  If I am to manage leisure pursuits properly I must know what I need and discipline every part of it.  This is not a stressful or worrisome discipline.   It is a part of following Christ with all that I am.  Even assessment must be done in faith.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment