13 January 2016

Sorry Is Not Good Enough – In Place of Compassion

Greetings Dear Reader,

When someone shares a misfortune, hurt, or loss with we often respond with “I’m sorry.”   Our desire is to communicate compassion but we often do not know how.  We have developed this social contract of saying that we are sorry. 

I have tried to intentionally remove this from my conversation and instead engage with the person’s current crisis.  We gain so much more when we have genuine compassion for the needs of others.   Learning to choose words that communicate that compassion for others will be noticed.

When one communicates genuine compassion it stands out from platitudes and other common responses.   It is compassion that makes a difference.  It is genuine engagement with the hurts of others that makes us healers.  It is our example of this that will help draw others to Christ.

If I am to follow Christ then I must not fall into the trap of delivering platitudes when others are in need.  I must take the risk of engaging with the need.  I must put myself on the line to walk with them through grief, pain, illness, or loss.   This is how loved gets worked out in the lives of those with whom we travel.

Doing so will also take my eyes off of my concerns and remind me that I have it pretty good.  It may not be easy to find the right things to say but the effort is worth it.  The results are genuine.  The impact can be eternal.

Less of Me – Glenn Campbell

Let me be a little kinder. Let me be a little blinder.
To the faults of those about me, let me praise a little more.
Let me be, when I am weary, just a little bit more cheery.
Think a little more of others and a little less of me.
Let me be a little braver when temptation bids me waver.
Let me strive a little harder to be all that I should be.
Let me be a little meeker with the brother that is weaker.
Let me think more of my neighbor and a little less of me.
Let me be, when I am weary, just a little bit more cheery.
Let me serve a little better those that I am striving for.
Let me be a little meeker with the brother that is weaker
Think a little more of others and a little less of me.
Think a little more of others and a little less of me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment