07 March 2016

Compassion and Compromise

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things about the election cycle that tasks me is the politicization of social issues.  No matter which of the candidates one prefers they have used social stresses to divide the electorate.  Money and energy is spent screaming “our side is right” that should be used to address healthcare and hunger needs.

The biggest problem I see is that if we show compassion over an issue that “our side” rejects that we have compromised our standards.  We let people go hungry because we would rather argue over entitlements that feed people.  We would rather argue over morality issues than see to it that everyone has healthcare. 

It gets reported daily that this or that candidate has spent millions of dollars on his or her campaign.   Why not require that those running spend millions enhancing the programs they support instead of promising to do so if they get the job. 

I am not compromising my faith or standards if I am compassionate to everyone.  I am required by my faith to feed the hungry and care for the poor no matter who they are.  There was a time when the early church was criticized for not only help their own poor but helping the poor that were their enemies as well. 

When we wonder why our banner is torn and disrespected we should consider what goes on beneath it.  We are supposed to quietly and humbly serve the needs of everyone.  I am required to show unconditional compassion to everyone no matter what their social or political stance.  It is my obligation to do good to others no matter how I feel about what they do. 

It is not a compromise of my standards to feed my enemy or opponent.   It is not a violation of my standards to love those who violate them.  Following Christ is following this standard.  No matter what my politics I am not following Christ if I neglect the poor.  I am not following if I do not care for the health of everyone.  I need to follow his eample if I am going to follow him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment