02 April 2016

Celebrating a Favorite Fool

Greetings Dear Reader,

Today is my Brother Ian’s birthday.  I thought that as part of it I would share the chapter from Sheet Rock on the Road about him.  I wish that everyone could meet him and know him.  He is one of the great blessings in my life.   Enjoy and buy the book if you like the chapter.

K-Mart at Christmas

Sometimes you get to share your most precious things with those most precious to you.  At age twenty two, many things are wrong in my life.  I have finished most of a college degree and messed up both my schooling and my relationship with a lovely girl.  I have lost sight of my future and my footing to find it.

Truly the only thing that is solid in me is my faith.  I believe even when I am hurting and hopeless.  I believe even when it is foolish to do so.  I am back at home with my parents and my foolishness has left me alone in many ways.  I leave that situation determined to set out on my own and fix things.  Had I stayed things would have fixed themselves.

Two years later things are almost as bad.  This time, however, I have a wife, a two year-old, and an infant.  My faith is strong and I am searching for a way to mend other things in my life.  I love my family and we are living with my parents for a season before making the transition to a school that will help me complete my undergraduate education.

So many things are out of sorts and none of the old ghosts that involve my parents have faded.  It is Christmas Eve and my young brother is concerned because he has not gotten a present for our mother.  I volunteer to take him shopping.  We drive to K-Mart where he picks out some heavy and horrid sweaters for our mother.  He is determined that they are just what she wants.  I am sure she will lie and tell him she loves them.  I am also sure they will disappear some time in January. 

After completing our shopping we join the line of weary Christmas Eve shoppers.  The store is about to close and it is unusually cold for Georgia in December.  We pay and make our way to the old car I am driving.  It needs to warm up a bit before it will willingly make the journey back to my parents’ home.  Whilst sitting in the K-Mart parking lot he asks me about school and where I am headed.  I explain that I am studying to teach the Bible and train future pastors. 

He pauses for a moment and then asks the deep question.  He asks what I believe.  I quietly and gently explain that I believe some very simple things.  I believe that we all are heading toward God in some way.  I believe that we have created our own barriers in that journey.  Jesus died to remove those barriers and only faith in that creates the necessary relationship to assure that our journey is headed in the proper direction.

I had no idea in that moment what I was beginning.  Over the years my little brother has become a Christ Follower who I love and trust.  His humble obedient spirit is an example I treasure when I am weak.  That Christmas was lovely in many ways but the best moment was in my old car waiting for my brother to open the door that opens only to a voluntary touch.  My faith comes so easy but it is at its richest when others partake of it.  Sometimes when you are driving your brother drinks it all in and both of your lives are different forever.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment