03 April 2016

Superman versus Batman – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

First let me say that when there are spoilers I will give ample warning.  I waited a week to see this movie and the reviews are mixed from other partakers.  I enjoyed the movie but I also found the God sub-theme very intriguing.  The last few Superman movies have interwoven the God/man theme both intentionally and unintentionally. 


SPOILERS FOLLOW

The new movie; Batman v Superman: The Dawn of Justice challenges the theme.  It also continues on the watering down of the character of the heroes of my youth.  Batman is dark and malignant.  He places personal vendetta above what is right.  He seems more criminal than crime fighter.

Superman is seen as aloof and above man.  It seems that Lex Luthor’s view of Superman is supposed to be our common view.  It follows that in what many consider a post Christian era we would challenge the imagery of Christ that is woven throughout the Superman story.   I find that the challenge is meant to be the right view in this film.

I also find that challenge wrong.  I am going to ponder this for a few days and try to speak to some of the things said about both Superman and God in the film.  I am processing this for my own well-being but as always you are welcome in the conversation Dear Reader. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment