28 April 2016

The Conversations In My Head – Really Listening

Greetings Dear Reader,

When someone else takes the time to speak with me I try to really listen.  Sometimes I really fail.  It is not due to a lack of concern for what is being said.  It is mostly due to thinking about what I want to say instead of hearing.

My Grandfather used to say, “God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason.  Listen twice as much as you talk.” 

Ponder that for a moment.  What if we were to really listen?  I feel so ashamed in those times where I let the conversation in my head keep me from really hearing the conversation in front of me. I have an obligation to really listen when someone takes the risk of talking. 

One of the things the conversation in my head can do is help me to see what is really being said; the words behind the words.  If I am really listening I can hear more than words.  I can hear the heart and hurt being unspoken but told.  If I set aside my own conversation I can use the conversation in my head to help.

Listening is an act of will which can become a habit if I do it well.   As with so many aspects of the inner conversation I must master what I do when others speak.  I must hear the words, the hurts, and the heart of others.  I must have compassion that makes a difference.

If I listen with the right aspect of the conversations in my head I can do good things.  If not I will only muck it up.  Controlling this aspect of the conversations in my head is vital to following Christ with my thoughts.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment