09 April 2016

Too Much Baggage for the Journey – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was much younger I planned my first hiking trip for my dad and I.  I had a good lightweight backpack, sound camping gear, and no experience whatsoever.  I packed so much more than I needed for our three day trip including canned goods.

In the summer heat of Georgia I was carrying too much baggage for the conditions and my needs.  I was young and inexperienced.  I was also stubborn and determined.  The situations in which my dad had time for me were rare.  I was bound to not end this one.  I kept my suffering secret until I got sick from the heat and effort.  Our trip ended abruptly with my losing my lunch and sorely dehydrated.

As I ponder the ailments of the church in my pursuit of Christ I think it too has over packed for the journey.   We burden the Gospel with too much baggage and too little true supply of what is needed.  The journey is long.  It is fraught with danger.  We were warned by Christ what to pack what to leave behind.

If I am going to faithfully follow then I must assure that what I carry on the journey is necessary and of value.  I must also be vigilant over what I pick up along the way.  Whether it is opinions, practices, or possessions my baggage must contain only what enhances the journey.  Please walk with me Dear Reader and as always, I value your thoughts.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment