15 April 2016

Too Much Baggage for the Journey – What to Pack

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was in primary school we would play a game.  It was called “When I pack my kit.”  We would go around a circle and say “When I pack my kit I will take my pillow.”
The next person would then say, “When I pack my kit I will take my pillow and my tooth brush.”  The third person would repeat the first two items and add a third and so on.  Miss Smith, my second grade teacher used this game to encourage us that we could remember and we could learn.  She would always end the game by saying we should never over pack our bags.

So what baggage do we need for the journey?  What is vital to take?  I must take only what is necessary.  I need the love of Christ in my heart.  I need the grace, mercy, and kindness for others that I so desperately need for myself.  I have seen over and over how I need the Word of God in my heart and mind. 

It is not a journey that can easily be made with too much to carry.  It is the weight of rules and practices unnecessary to the Gospel that slow us down.  The road is long and fellow travelers are precious.  I will never understand why some feel the need to burden others with more baggage that Christ requires. 

My responsibly is to explain and exemplify the freedom that is in Christ.  The entire journey has sufficient burdens without my adding to them with meaningless laws and rituals.  Pack love and truth and Jesus promises to provide the rest if we follow in faith.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment