20 April 2016

What is Your (My) God – Adult Beverages and the Like

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I first began to follow Christ I was taught that all consumption of alcohol was wrong.  Basically Jesus turned water into wine and the church was trying to turn it back to water.  I later realized that under the law the Jews were allowed to use money that belonged to God to purchase wine or strong drink if they wished.  (Deuteronomy 14:26)

Today is April 20, 2016 (420 day).   I think it appropriate to address the excesses that make things we can enjoy into a terrible life-stealing god.  First let me say that I think marijuana should be a legal controlled substance in the same way alcohol is.  I am not debating the merits of this but will listen if you wish to do so. 

We live in a vast array of uneven standards when it comes to controlled substances.   It is an excellent example of how the civil law cannot dictate morality to the masses.  It is why we need to assure that we use such things in proper moderation.   Any substance can become a god if abused.    

It is true that the alcohol and other drugs are abused in culture and become a god to others.  I live with the specter of that potential and so am very careful not to abuse drink.  This does not mean that we condemn it outright.  Building a hedge around religious liberty never gets us closer to God.

To follow Christ I must assure that I do not make a god of any drug or its prohibition.  I must embrace moderation in things that can control me.  On this day when many minds will worship a plant I choose to be moderate.  I choose not to make any crated thing displace the creator.

From the Inside – Def Leppard

I am bad, I am evil
I am winter, I am pain
I'll mess up your life
I'll beat up your wife
I'll lose all your friends
And I'll win in the end

So you play the Joker
And I'll play the Clown
And I'll laugh while you're up there
And I'll laugh when you're down
Though your screams break the silence
Oh, they won't make a sound
Na na na na na na naaa

I will rise, I will take you
I will break you, never let you go
I'll shoot through your veins
I'll drive you insane
I'll poison your breath
And I'll love you to death

So you be the Joker
And I'll be the Clown
And you'll laugh when you're up there
But you'll cry when you're down
Though your screams break the silence
Oh, they won't make a sound
Na na na na na na naaa

So you play the Joker
And I'll play the Clown
And I'll laugh while you're up there
And I'll laugh when you're down
Though your screams break the silence
Oh, they won't make a sound
Na na na na na na naaa

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment