23 April 2016

What is Your (My) God - Entertainment

Greetings Dear Reader,

I think we have all noticed just how many celebrated people have died in the first few months this year.  The world grieves the losses in many ways.  I am always impacted by the death of singers and actors I admire.  My admiration usually comes from their art and occasionally from their character.

The death of every human diminishes me.  Mankind is my business.  I feel some losses more deeply than others.  That is not what matters.  The important thing is that every life matters to me and to God.  He gifts people whether they acknowledge him or not. 

This puts us in the position where we put on a pedestal people who are what they are because of God’s provision.  We worship the created rather than the creator.  We make celebrities and raise them up no matter how foolish it may be to do so.  It does not mean that the artist does not give us great things.  It does mean that we do not raise them up above anyone else.

We do grieve the loss but what we need to embrace is why we do it.  We don't grieve for artists because we knew them; we grieve because they helped us know ourselves.  The artists I value are not what changes me.  It what their work changes in me that I value.   A song, a painting, or some great acting touches places in me and it changes me. 

It is in that change that I find loss and gain.  When the person who creates that change leaves us we lose the source of that change.  We lose the potential for future input.  We lose something that connects to our inner being.  It is our nature to deify anything that touches us that deeply. 

I have lost some of those over the years and I grieve for that loss.  I will not, however, forget that the Creator is the one who gifted them.  He knows what he is doing and I will not abuse his gift by making the creation more important that the Creator.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment