03 May 2016

I AM – The Bread of Life

Greetings Dear Reader,

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (John 6:35)

I used to live near a bakery.  In the morning the aroma of fresh baked bread would dance upon the wind to my home.  As I would exit to make my way to work each day that aroma would visit a euphoric feeling upon me even when my mood was dark or brooding.  There is something about fresh bread that touches us deep within.

We live in a world where hunger is still a constant problem.  From the Mana in Exodus to the Passover Supper before the crucifixion bread plays a vital part in our understanding of who Jesus claims to be for us.  The people he addresses, having been part of the five thousand he fed, now ask for another miracle in order to believe.

Instead of taking offense at their arrogance he reminds that it was not Moses but the Father who provided the Mana every day for years.  He reminds them that all physical bread is temporary and spoils.  He then tells them that he is the Bread of Life. 

We all seek for signs when so many have already been given.  Throughout the history of the redemption story we are encouraged to devour who God is for us.  We are told to taste and see that the Lord is good.  The need for the Father and the Son is as basic as the need for bread.

Jesus asked us to ask the Father for daily bread.  We need to ask the Father for closeness to Christ daily.  We need to find daily sustenance in Christ.    I need to be satisfied with him as my daily portion for strength to follow.  It is when I dine on lesser things that I flag and fail.  Jesus claims to be that which can and will sustain me.  How can I be satisfied with lesser things?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment