06 May 2016

I AM – The Good Shepherd

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday we saw how Jesus claimed to be the sheep gate by which we enter.  We saw how the shepherd became that gate at night for the sheep.  Jesus goes on to say,

“I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

It is David who first makes us understand that the Lord is our shepherd.  I could not say it much better than the twenty-third Psalm.  Still the understanding is necessary to the application.  What is it that the Good Shepherd provides for us?

  • He lays down his life for us.  He is not some hired hand who abandons us in times of danger. 
  • We are known far better than we know ourselves.
  • We know the Shepherd’s voice.
  • The Good Shepherd promises to bring all flocks home safely.
  • The Good Shepherd promises to unite the flocks so they are one.
  • The Good Shepherd knows he will die and rise again.
  • He unites us with the Father.


The Shepherd I follow is all these things for me and for all who follow him.  He is one through whom I gain access to the Father and the one who protects me from danger.  He died for me and lives for me.  He loves me the same way the Father loves him.  It is the in this security that I follow. 

Even in those times when I feel like a lost wanderer and alone in the journey I have the promise of a Shepherd who leads me.   He restores me.  He sustains me.  Even in the darkest moments he comforts me.  At the end of the day, the year, and the life I still dwell with him and cannot be stolen from him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment