12 June 2016

A Family Story - Grandfathers

Greetings Dear Reader,

My Grandfather was born in 1910.  He reached the clearing at the end of the path in 1969 just before the Braves claimed the National League pennant.  He is one of the central people in my life even today when he would have turned 106.   He is one of the primary influences of my faith, following, and the way view the world.

In Sheetrock on the Road. he appears often at the beginning.  He is the one I think of when I need counsel  and have no one to whom I can turn.  He is the one who prayed for me to have faith and did not live to see me find it.  He is the blueprint for how I wish to treat my Grandsons.

I miss him more this year than on his past advent anniversaries.   His guidance would be invaluable to me today.  When those I love are hurting I long for his words and wisdom.  I find them occasionally in the writings he left behind for me. 

My progenitor, his son hated him.  He rejected everything my Grandfather believed and treated both my Grandfather and his faith with contempt.  My progenitor was an abusive alcoholic and a conman.  When I look at the lives of these two men in light of how I wish to be the answer is obvious. 

The contrast of these two lives forces me daily to ponder what my Children and Grandchildren will say about me five decades hence.  It drives me to my knees to pray and to follow Christ more closely.  It is in this man that I see the closest I have ever seen to the face of God.

For FFB – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment