02 June 2016

Abdication Disallowed – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?”  In A Christmas Carol Scrooge asks this question when approach about being charitable concerning the needs of others.  His pre-specter opinion is that the needs of the poor are the responsibility of charities and the government.

One of the things that seems to be common is for us to relegate things to social organizations that are individual responsibilities.  I must concede that some things need to be handled by trained professionals but there is much more.  Many societal needs are the responsibility of individuals.  When we relegate them to the government or charities we abdicate our obligation to help others.

This creates a situation where I am too far removed from the needs of others.  We need processes in place to help on a large scale.  We also need to assure that we do not forego our personal responsibility for the needs around us.

In order to refresh my understanding of this I am going to walk through some social issues in my pondering.  I want to be clear that I am not relegating or abdicating my obligation to others.  If Christ followers do not take on social responsibility then we cannot show Christ to others.  Walk with me for a bit Dear Reader and let me know what you think.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment