30 June 2016

Percent Logic - Refugees and Terrorists

Greetings Dear Reader,

We will hear all kinds of statistics about how few of the refugees that seek safety are actually a danger to us.  Those statistics are likely accurate.  We will also hear the argument that we have to get it right all the time and that they only have to succeed once.  We reduce the argument of being humane to others to numbers, possibilities, and probabilities.

In all of this I ask the same question:  What is my obligation to Christ in aiding others?  I am not supposed to put my safety first if others are in danger.  Yes I must consider the safety of others.  Yes there will be a flood of scenarios and circumstances where the answers are hard. 

This is why there are very clear guiding principles for those who follow Christ.  We must love our enemies.  We must meet the needs of those in dire straits.  I have to see the hungry as hungry, not as hungry “fill in whatever group you wish to avoid”.   I must risk it all for others. 

So the statistics are simple in this.  100% of the people who are terrorists are worthy of being loved.  They can and must be stopped but not by denying the needs of others.   What would be the impact of every Christ follower acting in this way?   

I cannot say that I know what the answer is here.  I do not know that there must be a way to find the true path.  There must be a way to love our enemies, protect our own, and meet the needs of our neighbors no matter how big the neighborhood.  In this case the statistics are only used to justify avoiding one of these.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment