18 June 2016

Praying with Those Who Cannot – Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently my friend Joy posted a question about praying the rosary.   She cares for a woman who used to do this but no longer has the capacity to do so.  Rightly so Joy was concerned about doing what is right.  Rightly so she felt that the Father would allow such a thing.

When she posted about it I was happy to support her.  Then I realized that there was more here.  Why do we not speak more about praying for those who cannot pray for themselves?  It is clear that we are to pray for others.  It is clear that we are to pray for their wellbeing and their needs.

What I think we need to embrace is that we can also pray with those who cannot pray.  We do not even have to know what they would pray.  The Spirit intercedes for us when we do not know what to pray.

Not only do we honor the Father when we do things like this but we are caring for the “least of these” in the way Christ wishes us to care for them.  The faith we exercise when doing benefits us as well. 

Many would think that rote prayer would not be a good thing.  I would posit that any prayer, prayed in faith is more powerful than we can imagine.  We have lost our understanding of the extreme power that prayer holds.  We may be able to learn something about how to pray.  I am going to spend a little time on what the Rosary can do for anyone.

I am not telling anyone to do this.  Neither am I saying it is what we should do as our common practice in prayer.  What I do wish to do is acknowledge that the practice of many of my Catholic brothers and sisters has value and examine how I might walk closer to Christ through it.   Walk with me Dear Reader.  Talk with me.  Pray with me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment