19 August 2016

Of Mice and Men – Land Down Under

Greetings Dear Reader,

I know that Christmas misses several aspects of Australia.   As the last stop on our trip we stopped at a small zoo called Kentucky Down Under.   It is a collection of Australian animals and some cultural knowledge created by Bill and Judy Austin in 1990.  

It is worth a day to pet the kangaroos, see the animal show, and learn about sheep and sheep dogs at the sheep barn.  It is also fun to watch the staff react to an authentic Australian visiting their park.

The place has not changed much since I last visited it in 2009.   Today I watch my Daughter pet the kangaroos and even coax a young joey out of the pouch so some other visitors could see it.  I was reminded that there are so many lovely facets to her personality that sparkle when she is given the light and time to do so.

I was also reminded of how much I enjoy the diversity of culture.  We are in a rural southern town.  We are in an ancient motel run by a zealously polite Indian couple.  We spent the day infused with Australian culture.  I am supposed to be a man who embraces infinite diversity in infinite combinations. 

It is in these moments that I value just how easy that diversity is if I set aside my expectations.  I need to see and revel in the differences.  I need to see the beauty and grace in every culture.   It is in these things that the Father reveals the depth of who he is.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment