06 August 2016

Pieces of Time – Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have a beautiful and very real hour glass.  I have timed it carefully and it seems to drain in fifty-nine minutes and fifty-nine seconds.  Static resistance seems to hold back a seconds worth of sand.  The hour glass both practically and metaphorically is important in my life. 

The time I give to writing this blog serves the purpose to purpose my time.  I am not just trying to be clever there.  I share it in hopes that others will ask questions, share thoughts, and perhaps gain a grain or two of truth.  Mostly it is to measure out the grains of time in a way that is purposeful.

Terry Pratchett uses the symbol of the hour glass as his personification of death’s method of measuring lives.  I highly recommend his books.  That metaphor resonates so well with me.  I realize so clearly that there are more grains in the bottom of my hour glass than in the top.  The sand will keep falling no matter what I do with the time.

Each grain, each piece of time matters.  I see more clearly how precious they are.  I do not yet get to use each grain in the way I wish but I am growing closer.  Even when the uses of my pieces of time are not what I wish I am still obligated to use them well.  Even when others redirect their pieces of time in ways that take them out of my sphere I am obligated to love and care for them.  I can only use the time I am given. 

“Time is the crucible in which we burn.”   I begin to feel time gaining on me.  I begin to see that each grain falls at constant unrelenting pace.  Caught in the slipstream I must direct my flight through time in a way that shows that I am seeking Christ in every moment.  Since Jesus is both eternal and omnipresent there is no moment where he is not there waiting for me to follow.  It is my obligation to give each moment he gives me back to him.  Each piece of time must be used in following as closely as I can.  If I can do this then everything else will work itself out as it should. 

Closing Time – Semisonic

Closing time: Open all the doors and let you out into the world
Closing time: Turn the lights up over every boy and every girl.
Closing time: One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer.
Closing time: You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
Take me home

Closing time: Time for you to go out to the places you will be from.
Closing time: This room won't be open 'til your brothers or you sisters come.
So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits,
I hope you have found a friend.
Closing time: Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Yeah, I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
Take me home

Closing time: Time for you to go out to the places you will be from

I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
Take me home

I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
I know who I want to take me home.
Take me home

Closing time: Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment