11 August 2016

Second Thoughts – Mallards, Cubs, and Braves

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Last evening I spent the night at my final Mallards game of the season. There is one more home game but I will be on the road.  It has been a good season and I wish them the best in the playoffs.

The professional baseball world is topsy-turvy for me.  The Cubs are still the best team in the game and my beloved Braves are at the bottom of the bottom.  I am happy for my long beleaguered Cubs friends.  They have waited so very long to feel this hope and potential.  Since my Braves will not be in contention I hope the Cubs take it all if only to make my friends happy.

My Braves did prosper in their former home town this week, sweeping a series with the Brewers.  My real baseball happiness this year has been enjoying the Mallards with my family.  It has been a warm muggy season.  My Grandsons have been more engaged in the game.  They both have sung at the game in front of thousands of fans.  I have seen my Son really relax and enjoy baseball.

The metaphors of baseball still run strong in my heart.  Every individual on the field matters even if they never touch the ball.  Every moment of the game is one of potential.  I am learning that it is so  both on and off the field.  The opportunities’ to be kind and loving to those around me abound.  The chances to be patient and  grateful to the staff occur nightly.. 

In the microcosm of each game is this temporary community of people in a united purpose.  They all want the same thing; a win.   I watch my Son set the example of cheering and not booing to his Sons and I am proud of him.  I see my Grandsons begin to understand the game and am delighted.

Mostly though I am constantly reminded that every season, game, inning, and pitch has potential.  Any at bat can turn death into a fighting chance to live.  Last night the only score was a two run home run by the opposition.  That single swing of the bat was enough to change everything.

Soon the air will turn crisp.  The Mallards players will return to their respective colleges.  The Braves will start their off season.  For the sake of my friends and my pastor I hope the Cubs are the last team standing as October heralds the end of the season. 

What I will carry into the winter where baseball and the green world sleeps is this:  I have a deeper love for my Children and Grandchildren through the common threads of the baseball seam.  I have a deeper love of Christ through the lessons of potential taught in the cathedral of the diamond. 

Eventually my heart will run out of summers.  For now I will embrace hope.  I will hope for better fortunes for my Braves.  I will hope that my family will embrace the journey of faith; even those who are in their winter of discontent.  I will journey through the deep midwinter in hope for a better outcome.  This is baseball and this is life. 

The Riddle – Five for Fighting

There was a man back in '95
Whose heart ran out of summers
But before he died, I asked him
Wait, what's the sense in life?
Come over me, come over me

He said
Son, why you got to sing that tune?
Catch a Dylan song or some eclipse of the moon
Let an angel swing and make you swoon
Then you will see, you will see

Then he said
Here's a riddle for you
Find the answer
There's a reason for the world
You and I

Picked up my kid from school today
Did you learn anything causin' the world today
You can't live in a castle far away
Now talk to me, come talk to me

He said
Dad, I'm big, but we're smaller than small
In the scheme of things, well, we're nothing at all
Still every mother's child sings a lonely song
So play with me, come play with me

And, hey, dad
Here's a riddle for you
Find the answer
There's a reason for the world
You and I

I said
Son, for all I've told you
When you get right down to the
Reason for the world
Who am I?

There are secrets that we still have left to find
There have been mysteries from the beginning of time
There are answers we're not wise enough to see

He said
You looking for a clue
I love you free

The batter swings and the summer flies
As I look into my angel's eyes
A song plays on while the moon is high over me
Something comes over me

I guess we're big, and I guess we're small
If you think about it, man, you know we got it all
'Cause we're all we got on this bouncing ball
And I love you free
I love you freely

Here's a riddle for you
Find the answer
There's a reason for the world
You and I

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment