06 August 2016

Second Thoughts – Star Trek Beyond Commentary (SPOILERS)

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I have heard both sides of the discussion on this film.  There seems to be no middle ground.  My younger Son, Bezel said, “It is not just a great Star Trek film.  It is a great film.”  Another friend hated it.  He said it was too much like the original series.

I loved the film.  It keeps its promise to take us beyond in ways I value.  It also was a good film on its own merits. 

Beyond the Five Year Mission:
We see Kirk and crew at a crossroads.  It is after the five year mission.  It is beyond the commitment and the team is strong and loyal. The three have become good friends; family.  The crew is loyal.  There are five years’ worth of logs, episodes, and stories.  Kirk makes me laugh when he says it feels “episodic.”  The federation is growing faster than it did in the other time line.

Beyond the Original Choices:
Kirk refuses the Admiral’s Chair.  He stays with his ship.  The original words of the original Kirk become unnecessary.  Yet the hope in them is fulfilled “Don’t let them promote you.”  The new Kirk stays with his ship even though he still must get a new one.

Spock also stays.  He does not go to New Vulcan.  He does not pursue being more Vulcan. In fact he becomes more human (More on that later).  He chooses to become more of a friend openly.  He chooses to use colorful metaphors sooner.  He communicates the loss he feels when his other self dies.  He is both a Vulcan and one of us. 

Beyond the Original Cast:
The new cast pays such beautiful homage to those who have been left behind.  They love and respect the characters and the actors without being cheesy or ham handed about it.  They do such a beautiful job of closing the loop on that which I have loved since I was a wee lad. 

Another goodbye is the sad and painful one we bid to Anton Yelchin.  Some of his lines in the film become so cryptic because he is dead.  I am not sure how they will handle it in the films but I know that the loss will be felt for quite some time.

Star Trek is part of me.  It is part of the best part of me. I have a Spock and Bones in my life.  I am seeking for some other things.  My mission is ongoing.  I am still trying to turn death into a fighting chance to live.

I have this poster and it is still true, almost everything I needed to know I learned from Star Trek:

  • Seek out new life and new civilizations
  • Non-interference is the prime directive
  • Keep your phaser set on stun
  • Humans are highly illogical
  • There is no such things as a Vulcan Death Grip
  • Live long and prosper
  • Having is not so pleasing as wanting; it is highly illogical, but often true
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
  • Tribbles hate Klingons (and Klingons hate tribbles)
  • Enemies are often invisible- like Klingons they can be cloaked
  • Don't put all your ranking officers in one shuttle craft
  • When your logic fails, trust a hunch
  • Insufficient data does not compute
  • If it can't be fixed, just ask Scotty
  • Even on our own world, sometimes we are alien
  • When going out into the Universe, remember: "Boldly go where no one has gone before"


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment