12 November 2016

A Season of Gratitude - Technology

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I forget how much the world has changed relative to technology.  In 1973 my parents paid $80 for a calculator that would add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  It also would retain a single number in memory for later inclusion in a problem.  They bought this because it was required for my schooling.   It was the size of a smart phone and twice as thick.  It used four AA batteries and weighted about ninety pounds.

Today my smart phone has a world class graphing calculator app that was free.  It bugs me once a month to upgrade to even more features that I do not understand.  I use this virtual calculator almost daily for figuring things on the go. 

In 1985 I got my first PC.  It had 16k of RAM and two floppy drives.  Today I write this on a machine running an Intel Core i7 with 36 gigs of RAM and 2 internal and 30 attached terabytes of storage.  My aforementioned smart phone has 2 million times the storage that my first PC had.  Yes I used the aforementioned free calculator too calculate the difference.

I have access to the knowledgebase of the world through an internet that is fast, reliable, and powerful.   I can communicate with people all over the globe with a few keystrokes.  I am taught, entertained, and given great convince because of technology.

I must also remember that with great power comes great responsibility.  I am accountable for all that is available to me and how I use it.  I am thankful for the tools and convenience of technology.   I cannot imagine doing all of this with stone knives and bearskins. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment