11 November 2016

Second Thoughts – On Burning Flags - Freedom Never Cries

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I get that there are people unhappy with the election results from Tuesday.  I understand that we have waned in our capacity as a society to be “good losers”.  I even understand that on both sides of the political spectrum there are extremes.  I am, however, ashamed of the behavior of some of those “protesting” the outcome of the election.

I did not want this man to be president.  I cannot support his views on some things.  That, however, is not a good reason to be violent, harsh, or even a poor loser.  I realize there is fear over what may happen.  I also realize that acting out of fear is rarely wise.  It broke my heart to hear my friend Penny lament what she was seeing.   It gave me tears to think of the veterans who have lost so much to protect what the United States stands for at its foundation.

The Washing Post reported that students at American University burned the American Flag in protest of the result of our democratic process.   Is there anyone out there who sees how useless and dishonorable this is.  That flag covers so many things.  It is the sacred symbol of honor draped over the casket of every solider that dies protecting your freedom to burn it.  It is the symbol of a land that does stand for freedom and liberty. 

We may have issues.  We do have things to fix.   Hatred and anger on either side will not heal anything.  We could band together and demand that all the problems in the bureaucracy of government be solved.   We could decide to be good to each other no matter what our politics or social views. 

Pulling a man out of his car and beating him because he voted for someone dishonors everything we believe about freedom.  Disrespecting anyone for politics is foolishness.  We could spend our energy working for the needs of those around us.  We could fight the fear and potential danger by remembering that the Government serves us and hold it accountable to do so. 

Instead I see people acting as if they are entitled to bad behavior because they are afraid or angry.  If we are to rise above this turmoil, we need to be good to each other.  Tolerance needs to be an action of grace and kindness and not a political viewpoint.  Our president, no matter who he is, would have to listen to the people were they to unite and fight for the things with matter instead of fighting each other. 

When we burn our own flag we harm our society.  We insult the men and women who give their lives to defend it.  It is legal because we have laws that allow real freedom.  We can protest and even act like petulant children because we are a free society.  Imagine in a true fascist state the consequences of protesting an election.  All things are lawful but all things are not expedient.  

Freedom Never Cries – Five for Fighting

I took a flag to a pawn shop
For a broken guitar
I took a flag to a pawn shop
How much is that guitar
I took a flag to a pawn shop
I got me that guitar
What's a flag in a pawn shop to me?
I saw a man on the TV
In a mask with a gun
A man on the TV
He had a ten year old son
I saw a man on the TV
His son had a gun
And he says that he's coming for me

I never loved the soldier until there was a war
Or thought about tomorrow
Until my baby hit the floor
I only talk to God when somebody's about to die
I never cherished freedom
Freedom never cries

I wrote a song for a dead man
To settle my soul
A song for a dead man
And now I'll never grow old
I wrote a song for a dead man
Now I'm out in the cold
What's a song to a dead man to me?

I never loved the soldier until there was a war
Or thought about tomorrow
Until my baby hit the floor
I only talk to God when somebody's about to die
I never cherished freedom
Freedom never cries

You can cry for her
Die for her
Lay down your life for her
Kiss and wave goodbye to her
Anything at all
You can cry for her
Die for her
Make up your mind to her
Anything at all, oh

There's a baby on the doorstep
Wailing away
There's a baby on the doorstep
Longing for the day
There's a baby on the doorstep
Who'd give his life to take
A flag to a pawn shop
A flag to a pawn shop
May he forget why he is crying some day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment: