29 December 2016

After the Angels - Anna and Simeon

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

Babies, especially new born babies draw attention.  Imagine for a moment being a young mother who has to make her way to Jerusalem for the dedication of her first born.  You are only eight days away from angels and shepherds heralding the birth of your Son.  You enter a crowded temple plaza carrying the five shackles required to redeem the child under the Law of Moses.

Around you are Temple Guards, Roman Soldiers, and others seeking atonement.  A widow named Anna who has spent eighty-four years awaiting the moment of the appearance of her Messiah.  She tells all around her that he has come to set them free.

There is also Simeon; a devoted Jew who lived and honest and honorable life.   The Holy Spirit had promised him that he would not die until he had seen the Messiah.  He approaches the young mother with her Son.  He takes the child in his arms and begins to sing.

After the angels and shepherds Mary sees to elderly prophets recognize and honor her Son, Jesus.  She is given yet more visible evidence that things are real.  There is no madness here but rather the continued reminder that God is with us.

It is what I need to do daily.  I need to see the reminders that God is with us.  I need to take him in my arms and sing.  I need to be constantly in the moment of Christ’s presence with me. 


That old man in the temple
Waiting in the court
Waiting for the answer to a promise
And all at once he sees them
In the morning sunshine
A couple come and carry in a baby

Now that I've held Him in my arms
My life can come to an end
Let Your servant now depart in peace
Cause I've seen Your salvation
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people Israel

Marry and the baby come
And in her hand five shekels
The price to redeem her baby boy
The baby softly cooing
Nestled in her arms
Simeon takes the boy and starts to sing

Now that I've held Him in my arms
My life can come to an end
Let Your servant now depart in peace
'Cause I've seen Your salvation
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people, Israel

Now's the time to take Him in your arms
Your life will never come to an end
He's the only way that you'll find peace
He'll give you salvation cause
He's the Light of the Gentiles
And the glory of His people Israel

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment