17 December 2016

The Road to Bethlehem – Christmas Cards

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

I have dear friends who send me Christmas cards every year.   I have never been someone who sends cards.  If one gets a card from me for any reason one should realize that it is uncommon.  My Daughter, Christmas on the other hand loves to make cards and send them to people.  She creates beautiful three dimensional treasures. 

The song I am pondering today is one that reminds us that we are celebrating a birth.  It also reminds us that we celebrate while there are still serious things to consider.  There is a time and season to both celebration and contemplation.

I must celebrate.  The revels are right and meant to show joy and hope.  There will be gifts given, meals shared, and love shown.  I will find great joy in the wonder of my Grandsons, the surprise in my children, and the time to rest and write.

We must also always have a shadow in our Christmas.   There must be a corner to our smiles.  We cannot celebrate without the shadow from our lights reminding us of those in need.  We must not forget that the manger always has the shadow of the cross.  We must have both content and style.  We must never be perfunctory.


Got a birthday card at Christmas: it made me think of Jesus Christ.
It said, “I love you” in small letters. I simply had to read it twice.
Wood smoke curled from blackened chimneys. The smell of frost was in the air.
Pole star hovered in the blackness. I looked again: it wasn’t there.

People have showered me with presents. While their minds were fixed on other things.
Sleigh bells, bearded red suit uncles. Pointy trees and angel wings.
I am the shadow in your Christmas. I am the corner of your smile.
Perfunctory in celebration. You offer content but no style.

That little baby Jesus: he got a birthday card or three.
Gold trinkets and cheap frankincense. Some penny baubles for his tree.
Have some time off for good behaviour. Forty days, give or take a few.
Hey there, sweet baby Jesus: Let’s share a birthday card with you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment