02 December 2016

The Road to Bethlehem – A Christmas Song

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

Each year on Thanksgiving, after the turkey and pie, I watch A Christmas Carol.   It is the beginning of my time of pondering the needs that are so keenly felt as the world prepares to celebrate the Nativity.

“But you were always a good man of business, Jacob,' faltered Scrooge, who now began to apply this to himself.

Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”  - Charles Dickens – A Christmas Carol

I realize that the title is “A Christmas Song”, not “A Christmas Carol”.   I will get to that.   I think that I cannot properly ponder the love and joy of Christmas if also embrace the want and need.  It is an insult to the redemption story to turn a blind eye to the needs of others.

It is not wrong to celebrate.  I feel, however, that we often lack balance.   We focus on the plenty and the celebration and forget those in need and in want.  The entire purpose of Christmas is giving.  God gave his Son.  We need to be giving love and compassion to those in need.  The best way to do that is to meet the needs we can.

There are so many avenues through which we can give to the needs of others.  There are many opportunities and the need is constant.  I must not pretend that I am honoring the birth of Christ if I turn a blind eye to those with genuine need.  I must extend my generosity beyond the comfort of family and home. 

Christmas Song – Jethro Tull

Once in Royal David's City stood a lowly cattle shed,
Where a mother laid her baby.
You'd do well to remember the things He later said.
When you're stuffing yourselves at the Christmas parties,
You'll laugh when I tell you to take a running jump.
You're missing the point I'm sure does not need making;
That Christmas spirit is not what you drink.

So how can you laugh when your own mother's hungry
And how can you smile when the reasons for smiling are wrong?
And if I messed up your thoughtless pleasures,
Remember, if you wish, this is just a Christmas song.

Hey, Santa... pass us that bottle, will you?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment