03 December 2016

The Road to Bethlehem – Silver Bells

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

This song is a Christmas classic.  It is light, airy, and invokes that feeling that so many understand who live in cities like New York or Chicago.  I did not get it until I lived in the Chicago area for a bit. 

My job in Chicago had me traveling between a downtown office and suburb office near my home twice a week.  I was heading for the train back to home from downtown in early December.  It was already dark and a light snow was falling. 

Traffic was thin and cold wind stung my face.  It had been a hard day.  Then I heard it; the distinct sound of a bell ringing through the crisp air.  I looked for it.  I knew what I would find.  There she was a few blocks up from where I would turn for the train. 

I made my way up the street, folding a couple of bills carefully as I did.  I met the smile of a young woman in a Salvation Army uniform.  I thanked her for braving the cold and her service to the cause as I slipped the properly folded bills into the narrow kettle slot. 

When I turned to make my way back to the train the song, Silver Bells came to mind and I began to sing it.  In the dark, the cold, and the snow that song meant something more for the first time.

Every year since I spend some time in December as a Salvation Army Bell Ringer.   You should give it a try Dear Reader.  They do so much good with so little.  It is so rewarding and it gives life to the song and to so many other things.  It may be Santa’s big scene but the silver bells remind us of what the season is for for all of us.

Silver Bells – Martina McBride

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas
Children laughing, people passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you hear

Silver bells, (silver bells) silver bells (silver bells)
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (ring-a-ling)
Hear them ring, (hear them ring)
Soon it will be Christmas day

Strings of street lights, even stoplights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures
Hear the snow crunch, see the kids bunch
This is Santa's big day
And above all this bustle you hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, (ring-a-ling) hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. I love that memory.. The Salvation Army helped me when I was a child. I loved those times you and I and the boys shard ringing the Bells for
    The Salvation Army Christmas collection..that memory always gives me smiles..

    ReplyDelete