10 December 2016

The Road to Bethlehem – Through Long December Nights

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

Today is one of the best days of the Christmas season to me.   In a few hours my family will gather and we will do some volunteer work, share a meal, and spend the day decorating my Son’s home.  It is the doing something to help others that excites me.  Sharing with my family is a bonus.

I cannot rightly celebrate the birth of Christ without doing things for the poor and needy.  I have been poor.  I have been homeless.   I know what it like to barter for a bed and beg for bread.   It was the grace and kindness of those who are professionals at caring for the poor who helped me.  I knew people who had plenty and they turned a blind eye to my needs. 

It was strangers who helped me.  It was the generosity of those I will never meet that fed me.  It is the work of those who have and share that gave me a bed during that time.  It is this doing for those who can never thank you that drives me.  

I must follow Christ and on that journey I must see clearly how I can help others.  I must always be moved by those in need and want.  It is in them that I will see Christ clearly and grow closer in the following; but only if I help.


Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow
While you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse us as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
To warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Now as the last broad oak leaf falls, we beg: consider this ---
There's some who have no coin to save for turkey, wine or gifts.
No children's laughter round the fire, no family left to know.
So lend a warm and a helping hand ---
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

As holly pricks and ivy clings,
Your fate is none too clear.
The Lord may find you wanting, let your good fortune disappear.
All homely comforts blown away and all that's left to show
Is to share your joy at Christmas time
With Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow
While you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse us as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
To warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment