12 February 2017

Searching Social Stances - Mockery

Greetings Dear Reader,

Running through the social media feed often leaves me sad.  It has become too easy to mock people with what appears to be impunity.  It seems to me that mockery is always self-serving.   When it does more it seems to breed disrespect and damage peace.

We do not go from dissatisfaction to riots.  We take a path to get to violence and insurrection.  If we disrespect others through mockery we do not allow a peaceful exchange of ideas.  We cannot say that we have respect for the idea of dialogue and disrespect the people with whom we disagree instead of having it.

I am not pointing a finger here.  I am saying that when I amplify my negative view of someone else to the absurd I harm both the peace and the truth.  I damage the fabric of reason and compromise.  When I use mockery to get a laugh at someone else’s expense I am failing to be loving and kind.

No matter how I feel about any stance on a social issue I am not permitted to mock someone else.  I am not allowed be dismissive or condescending.   I do not expect those who do not follow Christ to behave this way.  I also refuse to act in kind. 

I have mocked others in the past and been mocked by people I love.   Mockery causes harm whether we accept that it does or not.  I am not allowed to do harm.  As I journey through these varied stances on social issues mockery will not help me see your position in a positive light.  Neither will it further the cause with people of integrity.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment