22 March 2017

Second Thoughts – A Future and Once Captain

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

So many years ago I found the father I was missing.  He was still absent but for good reason.  He reminded me in so many ways of the persona that was my actual father but with more integrity and a better profession. 

I am speaking of Captain James T. Kirk.   Today is (will be) his birthday.  When I was boy his adventures on the small screen taught me some things I sorely needed.  I learned that everyone mattered.  I learned about friends and loyalty.  I learned that you follow the rules until following the rules becomes wrong.

Please understand how precious this has been in my life Dear Reader.  I do not think I would have survived the end of my first decade without Star Trek.  It gave me hope when hope was thin.  I still watch those old shows and remember good things.  I also remember the times I have spent with friends, students, and family reliving those adventures.

The debt I owe to Gene Roddenberry cannot be repaid.  The deeper debt is to others for the benefit of knowing his work.  I raise a glass tonight to William Shatner and James T. Kirk.  They have all helped me to boldly go where I might not have gone.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment