17 March 2017

Who Does it Serve? ~ Music

Greetings Dear Reader,

I love music.  My two hundred gigs of mp3’s covers everything from classical to a sampling of some of genres like air pop and space trap.  There is not a genre or style that I follow.  Rather I choose songs that I like.

I approach every song in the same way.  Frist, I ask if I like the sound.  Even if I do not I will give it an honest listen if it is recommended by someone.   I have been surprised by genres that I thought I would not like.  In them I have found a gem or two that gave me a feel for that style and what it had to offer.

There is also a core to my music world that is familiar and dependable.  There are songs that I go to when I need courage or comfort.  There are songs that take me to worship or celebration instantly. 

My primary filter after taste is the message of a song.  I ask a couple of simple questions and the answers are the filter.  The first is “where is this song trying to take me?”   The second is “Is that someplace I want to go?”  This is the filter that lets me determine who the music serves.

I refuse to go someplace that does not serve Christ.  Many interpret that to mean that only “Christian” music is acceptable.  This is a lie.  There is too much beauty and tragedy in the world to relegate music only to songs directly focused on Christianity.  The filter must be Christ but he is in everything that makes the world worth being in.

My music choices must serve to draw me closer to Christ.  It must transport me to the place intended by the artist and I must find Christ in that moment.  This is how music serves.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment