09 June 2017

Contracts with God ~ I Will

Greetings Dear Reader,

There are one way contracts in the world.  It is not the IF THEN contract.  It is the I WILL contract.  We call them promises, commitments, and vows.  We make them all the time but we vary in our commitment to them.

We consider the level of commitment to be equal to the importance of the thing we promised to do.  “I will take out the rubbish” gets dismissed with “I forgot.”  It is not the end of the world if you do not take out the rubbish but that failure to commitment erodes trust.  

It should be much simpler than this.  Our “yes” to do something must be all we need to be committed to that thing.  We can put into place conditions when necessary.  That makes the commitment an IF THEN commitment.  The yes contract, however, is unconditional.  The yes contract means that we will do it.

We say yes to so many things and some of them are weighty.  We say yes to life-long endeavors such as marriage but the yes becomes malleable.  We make commitments before all of the information unfolds and this is necessary.  The life-long yeses are unconditional contracts with the future.  They help to build a path for the journey.

My commitment to Christ was a one-way contract.  I vowed to follow him for life.  I must keep this contract no matter what the cost.  Some days it is easy.  Some days it requires momentary renewal.  No matter what it takes I must follow.  If I focus on that it makes the rest easier.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment