01 June 2017

Penny and Pound ~ Malleable Ethics

Greetings Dear Reader,

There are some things where one is either in or out.  One cannot be “a little bit pregnant.”  One is alive or dead.  One is faithful to one’s spouse or they are not.  There are some lines that cannot be crossed without being other than what we claim to be.

I cannot point my finger at others.  That is not my place nor the purpose of this exercise each day.  Rather it is so that I honestly consider what I must be in my heart, mind, and actions so that I do what is right.  I fail. That too drives me.  I want to be better today than yesterday.

Increasingly we see that ethics in our culture are opening malleable.  Our ethics have always been situational in some ways but it becomes more open and flagrant of late.  We have a serious problem of being ethically mercurial.   

We live out logical fallacies and embrace untenable philosophies.  We deny truths to appease our social and political desires.  We put truth, honor, justice, love, and kindness on a sliding scale.  

I had friend, who no longer considers me a friend because he wanted to minimize God’s command to love everyone.  He insisted that we need only respect everyone.  The Father is clear that we must love Him, our neighbors, strangers, and even our enemies.

We cannot pick and choose to whom we will show love, grace, and kindness.  I cannot refuse to love anyone.  I cannot pretend that I am better than anyone else.  I must be all in as one who commits to being faithful in my devotion to Christ’s example and following him.  It is not a weapon.  It is a practice in clear ethics lived out in humility.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment