05 July 2017

Freedom ~ Speech

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I sat in the baseball park yesterday celebrating Independence Day with my family I took in the cacophony of ballpark noises.  There is never a moment as silent as when the opposing team hits a home run. 

The difficulty at a baseball game where you have young children present is the first amendment.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Whilst I sat there with my Grandsons the guy an isle to my right felt it was a good thing to berate the umpire with anger and foul language.  There were wee ones all around him and he was untouched by the disapproving glances from surrounding parents.

He is free to say pretty much anything he wants at a baseball game.  The problem is that in saying “any silly thing he wants” is that he neglects that he has a responsibility for how his words infect the innocent in our society.  His larger fueled tirade is unfortunately accepted at baseball games, however, reluctantly.   

The right to free speech comes with great responsibility.  It comes with the understanding that words have power.  They can do great damage.  Once spoken words cannot be called back.  “I take it back” does not work.  It does not un-ring the bell.

Jesus assures me that I will give account for every idle word I speak.  I have the freedom to say anything but it does not absolve me of responsibility for everything I say.  I must consider every word and who those words impact. 

Who hears me and what I say will need context.  I must have a life of kind speech good words that are the backdrop to moments when I am not understood.  It must be the river of responsible real words on which the leaf of momentary lapse floats.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment