06 July 2017

Freedom ~ Will

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that amazes me about humans is free will.  We exercise it and hide at will.  We choose not to choose or we demand choice. 

For those who think that everything is predetermined I would submit the simple argument that foreknowledge does not equal predetermination.  That, however, is a different discussion.  I proceed from the assumption that we are created with free will.  If one does not believe that we are created then there is surly no argument against us having the power to choose.

The thing that hangs us up is consequences.  We either deny or wish to avoid consequences.  I have a friend, that when faced with the consequences of choices says quite petulantly, “I don’t want there to be consequences.  The difficulty is that things follow in sequence.  That is the way the universe works.

We are free to choose.  We have free will.  Every choice has a consequence.  I was recently in a situation where I was being treated unjustly but wished to still mitigate some of the fallout for others.  The person in charge of the situation looked me in the eye and said, “There need to be consequences and they need to see them.”  He could not mitigate the injustice to me but was determined that things should fall out as they would.

I need to accept that in every choice I make I am accepting the results of that choice.  I choose to follow Christ because I believe that is the best outcome for life.  I choose to love others because the consequences of unconditional love are good even when they seem late from my perspective.  We are supposed to live in the moment with the long view.  I find that I can only do that if I consider the consequences of exercising my will.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment