30 August 2017

Captains Courageous - Leadership

Greetings Dear Reader,

"Part of being a captain is knowing when to smile, to make the troops happy. Even when it's the last thing in the world you want to do. Because they're your troops, and you have to take care of them." – Benjamin Sisko – DS9: Rules of Engagement

One of the sacred truths of leadership to me has always been that if you take care of your team the work will get done.  I am sure that most of the people that lead us do not understand this.  If we truly took care of the people things would be much different. 

There will always be those who are not satisfied with the way things are.  There will also always be those who just want to burn things down.  The average person, however, just needs his or her needs met and little love and kindness. 

It is our fear, greed, and passions that drive us to do less than care for others.  It is our lack of understanding that if we care for each other we will not lack anything.  Whether our need is physical, social, or spiritual our caring for others will feed those needs.

Our failure to see and meet the needs of our “team” (read all humans) is what causes the gaps that others try to fill with things that do not satisfy.  It is what I do when I fail to focus on Christ.  When I put my own needs first I fail those around me.  It is then when I lack faith.  It is in those moments that I most need to think of how my failure will impact others if I continue. 

At the core of all leadership is the dire need and ultimate requirement to care for and take care of the lead.  As I see new responsibilities in this area unfolding for me I must remember that this seminal value will do more than anything else to help me do well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/9/17 03:08

    It is our responsibly to care for all with out the need to understand what's happening, because there are many times that we are not going to understand what's going on. God is accepting of us as we are and we must heed that leadership.

    ReplyDelete