23 August 2017

Captains Courageous - On Death

Greetings Dear Reader,

“How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life.”

This may seem obvious but it puts in mind the recurring theme of Star Trek the Original Series (TOS) that we often overlook.  Even though it became a meme, red shirts (security agents) often died on away missions.  Almost every episode saw the death of someone.

Dealing with death became very important just as the Original Series was nearing its end.  My Grandfather moved on to that undiscovered country and there was no solace to be had.  I entered a deep void that almost took me.  I did not understand how to deal with death.

Though this quote would not come until much later in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, syndication of the TOS in the early seventies gave me some dry ground to get to the time when I finally dealt with death.  Once again my parents were too occupied to see my needs but the daily reruns on a local independent channel flinted a spark of hope into my spirit.

I was again dealing with death and I was planning my own.  It was the episode “The City on the Edge of Forever”, my favorite TOS episode that delayed me long enough for the universe to intervene.  The conversation that led to my embracing faith began with a conversation about Star Trek and Captain Kirk. 

On the eve of taking my own life the man who became the third hero in my life helped me turn death into a fighting chance to live.  We spoke of my Grandfather; first hero.  We spoke of Captain Kirk; my second hero.  Ray, the man speaking with me told me of his time as a jet pilot.  He listened to my hurt and my heart.  He helped me deal with death so that I would not embrace it too soon.

When I heard this line so many years later I had no idea that in a few short years death would again force me to deal with his uninvited eventuality.  It was these words that helped get me through that as well. 

This is not all there is.  This is the journey and getting to the destination requires death for most of us.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24/8/17 05:06

    Your blog today reminds me of the movement of continuous life. Many people are making the statement with a semicolon tattoo... But why a semicolon?

    "A semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life."

    It is a choice to continue and we get the greatest gift of all. To continue as Gods children in His arms and His love. I'm glad you have continued your story.

    ReplyDelete